Wiki Icd 10 pcs repair dural tear

CCANTER

Networker
Best answers
I know for CPT coding when a dural tear occurs during a spinal procedure it is incidental and the surgeon usually will not charge/code for it CPT.

Would I code this procedure though for the ICD 10 PCS? or is it also just incidental and not coded

The surgeon used a Tisseel patch for the dural tear.
thanks

Dural Tear PCS coding

Hi,

I think you can code for it look at 00Q24ZZ-Repair Dura Mater, Percutaneous Endoscopic Approach
Not sure what your op report states on the body part butt his is used to repair area within surgery that could still be bleeding and this type of material can cause reactions. Sorry, gotta run, my boss needs help.

good luck

Hi,

I was able to come back here to try to help with coding a dural tear. This would be a complication code because dural tears in spine surgery cannot only be serious but very painful and do have to be treated since this is a level 2 dural tear from what I can tell of what you described. Without OR documentation, it is not that easy to offer definitive answers here.

Since you said patch, I would assume the surgeon used a muscle patch Autologous in nature with some fibrin glue using the Tesseel kit of some sort that applies the fibrin. I did a search through AHIMA and found nothing on dural tears that was useful to apply here.

I hope this helps further. Can't say my surgeon every has had to repair a dural tear since this can be idiopathic as well.