Wiki ICD-10 question-Infectious Disease

lwestcpc

Best answers
Hi... my supervisor sends us a question or case each day for part of our ICD-10-CM training. The one for today was to code "Legionnaire's Disease". Everyone basically came up with code A48.1 which is pretty cut and dry really, but some added T50.3X1A to it :confused: Some agree, some disagree. Personally, it makes no sense to me to add it as it doesn't seem to be related in ANY way at all.
If anyone agrees this code needs to be added, can you please explain why? It wasn't counted wrong if we didn't have it but it was stated that come October 1 it probably would be.
Thank you!

This is a good question!! I would lean more towards NOT including the T30.3X1A, unless the provider documented where the patient came in contact with the bacteria. Even though it is mostly found in water (which would explain the T-code, for underdosing of water balance agents to prevent bacteria growth) there could be that rare occasion where the pt came in contact some other way. I would only use it if the provider mentions it.

-Amber

I agree with Amber. I would not code T50.3X1A as what you posted makes no mention of water being the source.

Additionally, as you said, it is pretty cut and dry and there are no further instructions listed to code also or use additional codes for Legionnaire's.

Reason I would not code it (T50.-) is that documentation does not state the water being source of poisoning, no indication if said poisoning was accidental or other intent. No coding notes directing us to also use code from category T50.

Last edited: