Wiki ICD-10 Z98.89 (??Highest number of digits???)

Community Wiki

This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on AAPC for 30 days and have made 5 posts. Learn More
G
Code: Z98.890

Code Name: ICD-10 Code for Other specified postprocedural states

Block: Persons with potential health hazards related to family and personal history and certain conditions influencing health status (Z77-Z99)

Code also any follow-up examination (Z08-Z09)

Details: Other specified postprocedural states

Personal history of surgery, not elsewhere classified

Z98

Excludes2: aftercare (Z43-Z49, Z51)
follow-up medical care (Z08-Z09)
postprocedural complication - see Alphabetical Index

Guidelines: Factors influencing health status and contact with health services (Z00-Z99)

Note: Z codes represent reasons for encounters. A corresponding procedure code must accompany a Z code if a procedure is performed. Categories Z00-Z99 are provided for occasions when circumstances other than a disease, injury or external cause classifiable to categories A00-Y99 are recorded as 'diagnoses' or 'problems'. This can arise in two main ways:
(a) When a person who may or may not be sick encounters the health services for some specific purpose, such as to receive limited care or service for a current condition, to donate an organ or tissue, to receive prophylactic vaccination (immunization), or to discuss a problem which is in itself not a disease or injury.
(b) When some circumstance or problem is present which influences the person's health status but is not in itself a current illness or injury.

For more details on Z98.890, ICD-10 Code for Other specified postprocedural states , visit: https://coder.aapc.com/icd-10-codes/

Carolyn CPB CPC

New
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Looking to see if I can inquire about a more specific ICD10 to the Z98.89; getting claims rejected looking for highest number of digits. I have been using this DX for the year & suddenly are getting the rejections.

mitchellde

True Blue
Best answers
As of Oct 1, 2016 yes this code now has 6 characters. You will need a 2017 book and you need your software updated.

Carolyn CPB CPC

New
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Icd-10 z98.89

As of Oct 1, 2016 yes this code now has 6 characters. You will need a 2017 book and you need your software updated.

Thank you for the reply; any chance you have the newest book with the listing of the additional details to this code for the interim period of getting the newest book?

Cheezum51

Expert
Best answers
It looks like the updated version is now Z98.890 according to the ICD10data.com website. I don't have the new book where I am working this morning, so that's the best I can do for you.

Tom Cheezum, O.D., CPC

CodingKing

True Blue
Best answers
CMS has the addendum files on their website so you dont need to wait for a new book.

Z98.89 was broken up into the following codes:

Code(s) Description
Z98.890 Other specified postprocedural states
Z98.891 History of uterine scar from previous surgery