Wiki Icd-10

mbc/nilsa

New
Best answers
For the purpose of billing, if I have encounters with dates of service say August and of Sept. 30, 2015 would I be using ICD10 based on date of service or when the encounter was billed out? I listened in on a class for ICD-10 and they said we would have to bill as ICD10 if we billed out after Oct. 1,2015 even if encounter was prior to OCT.
Could you please clarify.
Thank you,
Nilsa

Hi

For physician services dated on and before Sept 30, 2015 will need to be coded in ICD-9.
For e.g. if you have a encounter date of service for Sept 15th and you code it on OCT 5TH you will use ICD- 9 codes. It's based on the date the services were rendered not the day the claim is billed.

Hospital/Facility HIM Coders will bill based on the Discharge Date. All discharges on and before Sept 30, 2015 will be coded in ICD-9. (Inpatient and Outpatient Facility Coders)

Outpatient facility coders also code on date of service, not date of discharge, as to inpatient facility coders. CMS just came out with clarification on this. So for a 2-day observation stay over 9/30-10/1, we'd have to split the bill, potentially.