Wiki ICD 10Coding Question for EKG Interpretation-93010

Best answers
Hello All - There is an ongoing debate in our office on the proper coding of an EKG interpretation when the Cardiologist documents myocardial infarction, age undetermined. The debate is I25.2 for old MI versus R94.31 for abnormal EKG since the age of the MI does not specify if it's older than 8 weeks. These are usually patients in the ED or inpatient stay who are either experiencing symptoms (not necessarily related to the old MI) or have other abnormal EKG readings (such as an AV block or abnormal rhythm). Just curious how other coders handle this scenario or if anyone knows if this is addressed in a coding guideline somewhere.

Thanks for the help!! JoAnn

Hello All - There is an ongoing debate in our office on the proper coding of an EKG interpretation when the Cardiologist documents myocardial infarction, age undetermined. The debate is I25.2 for old MI versus R94.31 for abnormal EKG since the age of the MI does not specify if it's older than 8 weeks. These are usually patients in the ED or inpatient stay who are either experiencing symptoms (not necessarily related to the old MI) or have other abnormal EKG readings (such as an AV block or abnormal rhythm). Just curious how other coders handle this scenario or if anyone knows if this is addressed in a coding guideline somewhere.

Thanks for the help!! JoAnn
I would use abnormal EKG results.