Wiki ICD 9 CM PROCEDURAL CODING Usage?

EverythingCoding

Contributor
Best answers
hello

i am preparing for CPC-H exam and came accross ICD 9 CM Procedural Coding volume 3 and was wondering when and where do we actually use this volume 3 codes.
Can anybody explain me the use of ICD 9 CM volume 3 please?

Any links giving more info about this are also welcome. thank you

Pradnya

Where I work, we only use them for inpatient procedures and we use 3M coding software, but I also work at a critical access hospital. The software that we used before we had 3M used them for procedures in the ER.

HIPAA limits the usage of ICD-9 Vol III to inpatient claims/stays. However, there are diverters from that rule.

In addition, some hospital systems still collect ambulatory surgery data in Vol. III. This is an archaic method of data collection, but represents what has been done in the industry for years.

So, to answer your question, Vol. III is used for IP coding (DRG) and also for data collection purposes (internal or external).

Good luck on taking your CPC-H!

You may want to check the requirements for the CPC-H exam again. When I took my CPC-H exam, we did not need Vol 3 at that time (last year). Maybe this has changed, but maybe not. I wouldn't want you to be worrying about something that may not be on the exam.

Best of luck!

I have never heard of any payer requesting vol III codes on an outpatient claim. As stated by Kevin HIPAA states that Vol III is limited to inpatient. So those of you that use them for your outpatient claims, what will happen when they no longer exists? Do you think they will have you use ICD-10 PCS codes?

I bill for an ASC, and my work comp carriers all want the Vol.III code relating to the primary procedure in box 74 of the UB04 form. I don't know what will happen when they no longer exist.. maybe they will except the CPT code in that box instead...