Wiki ICD-9 code for baseline EKG

dafozz69

Best answers
Patient has started on a new medication which requires that a baseline EKG be preformed with additional EKG's preformed for monitoring until patient reaches the maintainence level of the medication. Is there a specific ICD-9 code that can be used with CPT 93000 for monitoring the effects of the medication on the patient?

Thanks

ICD 9 Code for Baseline EKG

I have this same scenerio all the time. The only thing that I have come across is V72.81. Let me know if that works. Marl

How about V58.83 and V58.69

I would use V58.69, with a primary should be 311 Depression. I am a Psych coder and this is how I code labs/EKGs for pts on psych meds that require monitoring.

V58.83 is for "therapeutic level" in the blood- good for Depakote, Lithium etc., but not appropriate for EKGs :O)

V58.83 is not for blood monitoring only it is for any therapeutic drug monitoring. The AHA coding clinics state to use V58.83 for bone densities due to patient on phosamax. I see this as a similar issue.

Agree with Debra. The definition for V58.83 includes "measurement of a specific function" to assess effectiveness of a drug. V58.83 also instructs coders to use additional code for associated drug use (V58.61-V58.69).

One example Coding Clinic uses to demonstrate correct coding for these ICD is for a patient on Accutane presenting for blood test to monitor potential adverse affects. See Coding Clinic, 2Q, 2004.