Wiki ICD 9 code range 760-799 age edits

areger

New
Best answers
Hello!

ICD 9 codes 760-799 have Newborn age indicator on them with a preface statement in the code section that states "conditions which have their origin in the perinatal period, before birth through the first 28 days after birth, even though death or morbidity occurs later". The "tip" states, "A newborn condition is clinically significant when it has implications for the newborn's future health care".

Does this mean that a provider can submit these diagnosis codes beyond the 28 days as either a primary or secondary diagnosis even on a patient up to age 1? Most of the diagnoses in this section should be resolved in the first 28 days or a more definitive, not age restricted, diagnosis would likely be made. Example would be 765.94-Extreme immaturity, infant weight 1000-1249 grams. The infant would be receiving care long beyond 28 days and a part of "future" health care decisions, but not as the primary reason for care.

When are the ICD 9 diagnosis codes in section 760-799 not to be used on "infant" claims any longer? Are there any "sequencing guidelines" as to when/if the ICD 9 codes from this section cannot be submitted as a primary diagnosis code? Anyone have a reputable resource to give guidance?

Thank you for your responses.

Neonatal codes

The neonatal codes can be used as primary or secondary on a claim for a 50 year old if the reason for the exam is related to a problem that occurred in his first month of life. Some of the codes in this range cause permanent problems and aren't considered congenital defects. The best example I can think of offhand is PVL (peri ventricular leukomalacia) which causes permanent brain damage that doesn't change to a different or related diagnosis at any time.

I haven't had a chance to look into this for ICD-10, so I can't offer advice on whether or not this remains the same.

Thanks!
Amy Meyers, CPC