Wiki icd 9 coding for pathology

washington-hunt

Contributor
Best answers
question, 1. if the pathology reports states no malignancy found, " say of the lung" would this be code as a benign neoplasm? 2. if the report says "benign tissue" chronic and acute inflammation. How would this be coded?

My understanding is that no malignancy found is just informational and the coder shoud code to the condition, (the reason for the biopsy) my coworker says that this is means to code a benign neoplasm.

Also with the benign tissue my training says the tissue is normal and code only the chronic and acute inflammation. My coworker also says this is a benign neoplasm.

:confused:Help!!

For the first example you code the indication for the biopsy if there is nothing else to say beyond that it's negative for malignancy.

For the second example you code the inflammation.

Just because something is benign doesn't mean it is neoplastic. If there's a benign neoplasm, the pathologist will say so. You are correct.

I code Pathology and found your question and the answer to be very informative. I am currentely training another girl in pathology coding and felt the answer given was not only correct, but also very black and white. Good lesson for my trainee. Thanks:)