Wiki ICD-9 Procedure Coding

JennH

Contributor
Best answers
Can anyone help me with a link or website to learn about ICD-9 PROCEDURE coding? I'm just starting out with facility coding, and don't understand how or when to use these codes. They are listed in the back of the ICD-9 book, but there is nothing in the front of the book explaining their use.

Thanks in advance!
Jenn :confused:

This is probably a stupid answer but if you have the ICD-9 coding book with volume 3, there is some info right before the third volume begins that might be very helpul. Other than that, and this may sound silly as well, but try to google it and see if that leads you anywhere. Also, I don't know if you want to spend any money for this, but I bought the Ingenix ICD-9-Procedures Coders Desk Reference and it is great. It gives a pretty thorough description of every procedure and it is a great tool. If you can't spend a lot, try to buy an older version, maybe, and just check updates that have been made since then to make sure that you are coding accurately. Just a thought....

Last edited:
Not stupid answers at all... I've looked at the beginning of the section, but couldn't find anything to explain the use... maybe I missed a page? I'll look again. I googled and googled and googled ... couldn't come up with much. Thanks for your help, I'll look into the ingenix book.
Jenn

I found a few links that have some information about them. The first one is a Q&A from CMS but they talk a lot about HIPPA as well so maybe a HIPPA website would have some info, too. When I googled this time, I added the "Volume 3" and that seemed to give some more options.

All that I know about them myself is that they are only used for inpatient procedures. That is how my software codes with them where I work, but I have been told that a lot of software crosswalks to ICD-9 procedure codes when they enter CPT codes so it may be different depending on where you work.

http://questions.cms.hhs.gov/cgi-bi...std_adp.php?p_faqid=2357&p_created=1065631578

http://icd9coding.com/help_pages/iv3drg_overview.html