Wiki ICD generator placement question

Best answers
It has been a while since I have coded a pacemaker or ICD insertion and need just a little help, please.
"A limited, approximately 6 cm incision was placed overlying the lower third of the sternum and the upper aspect of the midline. The incision was carried in depth, and the xiphoid appendix was removed. A limited partial sternotomy was performed with an inverted J shape veering to the right of the midline. Excellent exposure was obtained once the pericardial sac was entered. We proceeded to place epicardial leads to the right atrium with a Medtonic 4968, lead serial number . . . and a bipolar right ventricular pacing lead, Medtronic 4968 -- 35 cm, serial number . . . A Halo coil was fashioned with a Medtronic 6996SQ 58 cm, serial number . . . Thresholds were measured, and it was necessary to reposition one of the electrodes of the ventricular lead in order to obtain the best threshold readings. . . "
The generator was then placed Left retromammary with appropriate connections.

So, I have 33231, 33202 but I am not sure if there should be an additional code for the intrapericardial Halo lead, or if that is included in the 33202 code. If not, I cannot find what code to use.

BTW, I don't think the codes have changed, but this is for a 2013 DOS.

Thank you in advance for any and all help!

Karen Hill, CPC, CPB, CPMA
AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM Trainer

I may be wrong but I believe a halo coil is something placed for visualization of the heart shadow. It serves no other function aside from guidance. I do not believe a code exists for such a marker.

Last edited: