Wiki Icd I51.7

hwaskey705

Best answers
As far as I am concerned in reading my code book it advises never to code any I00-I09 code with the I51.7 code. I have a coding consultant on my job advising to use the codes together when reported together bc the excludes one is only directly under code I51. However the code I51 requires a 4th digit and so all those excludes apply to all the I51 codes, correct?!
Thanks

You are correct the consultant is incorrect. I51 is not a code it is a category. The instructions at a category apply to all codes in the category. The decimal was put in the coding system as an alert that all characters assigned after the decimal represent an extension of the category.

As far as I am concerned in reading my code book it advises never to code any I00-I09 code with the I51.7 code. I have a coding consultant on my job advising to use the codes together when reported together bc the excludes one is only directly under code I51. However the code I51 requires a 4th digit and so all those excludes apply to all the I51 codes, correct?!
Thanks
What kind of a consultant is this person? Surely not a coding consultant? 'Consultant' to me implies they have exceptional knowledge in their field and that others look to them for advice about difficult matters. They also charge a lot.

I have looked at the ICD-10 book and I agree with you and Debra. The consultant made a basic coding error.