Wiki ICD10 Z76.89

dorinda05

Networker
Best answers
When is is appropriate to use IC10 Z76.89 (PERSONS ENCOUNTERING HEALTH SERVICES IN OTHER SPECIFIED CIRCUMSTANCES NOS)? One of our physicians uses it when he sees a new patient, there are other diagnoses to cover the reason for the visit with the appropriate new patient cpt code 99201-99205. Is this code even applicable to a new patient visit or when would one use it?

I see this with a few doctors a lot and I just remove it and use the codes supported in the document. I think they use it as a time saving thing to keep from having to decide which codes they should use. As far as when should it be used, I am not sure there is a really good answer for this, I personally have never used this code.

I do the same thing, Debra. I just remove the code when my physicians add it to their new patient visits.

Question for you....what if a patient is healthy, no concerns, and just comes in to establish care. Physician orders screening labs and has the patient return for a annual physical and lab review. There have been times when the provider will use ONLY that Dx code and when I ask for something else they say that they have nothing else to code based on the patient's current health status. I know insurance companies typically don't pay for this type of "meet and greet" visit. Would love some feeback/advice on how to handle such a situation.

I just use the screening Z codes for the labs if they are going to go over all the patient pre existing concerns at the annual then they are not going over them at this encounter. If they do document an extensive encounter to "establish care" with no concerns but past history of other diagnosis then I use the history of codes and the Z09 for follow up

Usually I just remove it. Occasionally I see it on a pre-surgical EGD for bariatric surgery. I sometimes include it as a secondary code, but usually the primary is e66.01 or the BMI code if they've specified it. Haven't run into another use for it, but I can see similar circumstances arising.