Wiki ICD9 Reporting Still Allowable?

bundydelly

Best answers
:confused:

LTC providers reporting ICD-9 codes (and their respective 10 codes) on the encounter. As far as I know this is definitely not allowable anymore, correct? I want to be sure before I take this to them. TIA

ICD Codes:
733.00 / M81.0: Osteoporosis of multiple sites
Order completed to increase calcium with D two times a day. She has a follow-up visit scheduled
8/30/18 at 10 AM.
428.42 / I50.42: Chronic combined systolic and diastolic HF (heart failure)
Patient is euvolemic. Weights remain stable. Frequency of weight monitoring recently
reduced. Diuretics are used as needed.
250.00 / E11.9: Type 2 diabetes mellitus without complication, unspecified whether long term insulin use
Hemoglobin A1c 7.6% 5/7/18. Continue the Lantus. Blood glucose reviewed, in acceptable range.
AM 232-156. Supper 126-286-163
I63.9: Cerebral infarction, unspecified
Improving with PT OT. Continue the Aggrenox. She is at risk for recurrence or extension. No changes
to plan of care at this time.

Brandi McKessy CPC
Medical Records Coder

ICD-9 codes are not allowed for reporting on electronic claim submissions to HIPAA covered entities, but I don't think there are any rules stating that they cannot be used in other situations. They likely are unnecessary and do not serve any purpose being in the patient's encounter record, but I'm not aware of any regulations that prohibit this.

I agree with Thomas, you cannot bill ICD-9 any longer (the claim will simply get denied). However if they are in the medical record together with the corresponding ICD-10, then I do not see any issues with it; as long as the ICD-10 code is on the claim.

Agree with the two posters ahead of me. Ignore the ICD-9 code. My only caveat is for you to make sure that the written-word diagnosis matches the ICD-10 code given