Wiki icd9 s/p ureteral stent placement

Diagnosis For stent placement

The diagnosis most commonly used here is 592.1 (ureteral stone)or 593.3 stricture-post op. Our physicians are called to the OR quite often to place stents to mark the ureters to avoid injury to them when surgery is being preformed by another physician (e.g. hysterectomy). In that case, I use the diagnosis of the surgery.
I hope this helps you!

Lisa Fudge CPC,CPMA
Carolina Urology Center, P.A.

I'm in disagreement with the previous coder. If the dx is s/p ureteral stent placement then wouldn't you use a follow-up code? You can only code what the MD documents. Did he document (ureteral stone)or stricture-post op? If it isn't documented then it didn't happen as per coding guidelines.

I agree with Tonyj. You can't code what isn't documented! There isn't a specific code that I know of for s/p stent placement. I would use a follow-up code or query the MD for something more specific.

V67.00 or V67.09 works just fine for follow-up. And I too disagree with using the reason a stent was inserted as the follow up or post op dx. You must be accurate on the dx always and when it is documented as a followup visit then use the V67.xx codes for follow up. If it is post op and there is still something being done for the patient such as dressing changes or suture removal then it is appropriate to use the aftercare codes which are also V codes.

ureteral stent

icd 9 for the placement of the ureteral stent is 59.8 The s/p code would depend on the documentation provided.

you would never use a complication code for a simple follow up visit the V codes for follow up are all that is needed. for ICD-10 it is a Z09