Wiki icd9cm

mtaftmtf

Contributor
Best answers
What code would you use for skin cancer, the preop and postop dx only states skin cancer.
New to coding would appreciate the help.

What code would you use for skin cancer, the preop and postop dx only states skin cancer.
New to coding would appreciate the help.

There's no indication of what area was being operated on in the body of the note? You use the post-op diagnosis to code, but it's not your only resource. You can use information from the procedure details to help with specificity when the diagnosis listed is vague. Also, you'll need to know if it's a primary malignancy, secondary, or Ca in situ. Without that info, the most specific recommendation I can give you is 239.2, Neoplasm of Skin, NEC, Unspecified. :)

Hi,

I think you can use 173.9(Skin cancer unspecified), because you said in pre op also they mentioned as skin cancer..., but you need to ask more specification about the site..

Hope it helps....

Regards,
Nalini CPC

I wouldn't go with 173.9 unless you're sure that it's the primary malignancy, and not a metastasis, or Ca in situ. If it's not indicated on the note, you should definitely ask the physician to clarify.

But if it does say that it's the primary site, or the initial cancer diagnosis, then 173.9 would work if you don't have any idea where it was located on the skin. Just my thoughts...;)

According to AHA coding Clinics a statement of Skin Cancer should be coded as the primary site so I would go with 173.9. The 239.X series are codes for when the morphology of the neoplasm has yet to be determined.

According to AHA coding Clinics a statement of Skin Cancer should be coded as the primary site so I would go with 173.9. The 239.X series are codes for when the morphology of the neoplasm has yet to be determined.

I stand corrected...thanks Debra! I learned something today! :D