Wiki If I don't use it, do I lose it?

Best answers
I currently work at Sarasota Memorial Hospital, and I love working there. I have my CPC Exam on April 25th, but they don't have any entry level coding positions available. I was told that the first Certification is actually a CPCA and you need to have 2 recommendations after 2 years to get the regular CPC. If I don't get a job immediately, do I lose the CPCA?

I currently work at Sarasota Memorial Hospital, and I love working there. I have my CPC Exam on April 25th, but they don't have any entry level coding positions available. I was told that the first Certification is actually a CPCA and you need to have 2 recommendations after 2 years to get the regular CPC. If I don't get a job immediately, do I lose the CPCA?

Hello!

The A in CPC-A stands for apprentice. You remain in apprentice status until you submit documentation showing either 2 years of work experience. One year of the experience can also be met by a qualifying education program. (For example, if you took the AAPC CPC course.) The apprentice removal instructions are here - even though you haven't taken the exam yet, being aware of the apprentice information may still be helpful to you: https://www.aapc.com/apprentice/applied-experience.aspx

Also, if you currently work in healthcare and use codes in some capacity for your current position, you may be able to count that as experience towards apprentice removal. It just depends on your current position and your job duties. The link I provided above may help you determine that.

As long as you stay current on your membership renewal and submit your CEUs timely, your credential will remain current as well. You can stay in apprentice status for as long as you need.

Good luck on your exam!