Wiki Ileal loop urinary diversion WITHOUT cystectomy

Jessim929

Guru
Best answers
Hi -

Is there such a code for creation of an Ileal loop urinary diversion without a cystectomy? Every single code I've looked up has the cystectomy in it. And after querying the doctor, no cystectomy done. Do I just do a 51595 (it was lap) with a 52 modifier or is there another code? I hate to do an unlisted code unless I absolutely need to.

Thanks for any and all help!!!

You indicated it was lap, I assume meaning laparoscopic. I don't generally code urology, but aren't both 51595 and 50820 open? I think this is unlisted 50949. I would submit an appeal letter to value as 50820 (or higher if you can justify the laparoscopic as more complex).

I don't remember the exact code I used, but once I clarified things with the doctor, I found the right one.

I don't remember the exact code I used, but once I clarified things with the doctor, I found the right one.

I just read in the Urology Coding Alert for March 2020 the correct code would be an unlisted code 44238. CPT 51595 represents an open procedure which would not be appropriate for this scenario.