Wiki In house Lab

kseeg23

Networker
Best answers
So I just got a new job at a pain practice where I'm moving, but I could use some help with billing for urine screens. They have a lab in the office so they do all of that there. How all does billing for urine screens work when the lab is in house? I'm used to billing G0434 to Medicare and then if needed it gets sent to a lab that does whatever it is they do. Basically, I need the 411, or a point in the right direction of where I can get it so I don't look clueless when I start! Any help would be great!! Thanks

Below is a Palmetto Medicare bulletin describes point-of-care testing and the suggestion of using HCPCS G0434 for this service.

The new codes for presumptive testing for a carrier that wishes to receive the AMA 2015 codes instead of G0434 could potentially fall under with in-office immunoassay instrument (look at 80301/80302) I have found many carriers have policy that state they are aligning with Medicare with use of G0434 instead of codes from prior to 2015 such as 80104 or 80101:

80300 Drug screen, any number of drug classes from Drug Class List A; any number of non-TLC devices or procedures, (eg, immunoassay) capable of being read by direct optical observation, including instrumented-assisted when performed (eg, dipsticks, cups, cards, cartridges), per date of service

80301 Drug screen, any number of drug classes from Drug Class List A; single drug class method, by instrumented test systems (eg, discrete multichannel chemistry analyzers utilizing immunoassay or enzyme assay), per date of service

80302 Drug screen, presumptive, single drug class from Drug Class List B, by immunoassay (eg, ELISA) or non-TLC chromatography without mass spectrometry (eg, GC, HPLC), each procedure80303 Drug screen, any number of drug classes, presumptive, single or multiple drug class method; thin layer chromatography procedure(s) (TLC) (eg, acid, neutral, alkaloid plate), per date of service

80304 Drug screen, any number of drug classes, presumptive, single or multiple drug class method; not otherwise specified presumptive procedure (eg, TOF, MALDI, LDTD, DESI, DART), each procedure

Drug Class A

Alcohol (Ethanol) Amphetamines Barbiturates Benzodiazepines Buprenorphine Cocaine metabolite Heroin metabolite (6-monoacetylmorphine) Methadone Methadone metabolite (EDDP) Methamphetamine Methaqualone Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) Opiates Oxycodone Phencyclidine Propoxyphene Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) metabolites (marijuana) Tricyclic Antidepressants

Drug Class B

Acetaminophen Carisoprodol/Meprobamate Ethyl Glucuronide Fentanyl Ketamine Meperidine Methylphenidate Nicotine/Cotinine Salicylate Synthetic Cannabinoids Tapentadol Tramadol Zolpidem Not otherwise specified

Below is a well-known article regarding point-of-care testing or in-house "lab"
Jurisdiction 11 Part B
Semi-Quantitative Drug Testing: Billing/Coding Alert

Pain Management Billers:
If you are a point-of-care provider that bills services to monitor drugs of abuse and submits a quantitative code, you may be at risk for an overpayment request.

In order to effectively treat chronic pain, physicians rely on drug testing to monitor prescribed medications and drugs of abuse. Practices may purchase or lease enzyme immunoassay (EIA) devices to provide preliminary qualitative or semi-quantitative test results for monitoring purposes. EIA devices and the reagents used to perform in-office drug testing are FDA cleared only to obtain qualitative or semi-quantitative initial screen/preliminary results.

Since an immunoassay and an enzyme assay are by definition moderate complexity tests that produce qualitative and semi-quantitative results, they may not be reported with a quantitative code. Confirmation or quantification of the preliminary result is not usually produced in a point-of-care setting.

The initial drug screen/preliminary result should be reported with HCPCS code G0434, (Drug screen other than chromatographic; any number of drug classes), by CLIA waived test or moderate complexity test, per patient encounter.

The following codes should not be reported for the initial screen/preliminary result when performed by EIA:
?HCPCS code G0431 ? Drug screen, qualitative; multiple drug classes by high complexity test method
?CPT Chemistry section, codes 82000-84999
?CPT Drug Testing section, codes 80100-80104
?CPT Therapeutic Drug Assays section, codes 80150-80299

Use of the above codes to report preliminary qualitative or semi-quantitative test results is considered systematic up-coding and may lead to criminal and civil penalties.

If you believe your practice has made this error, it may be in your best interest to take the following actions:
?Complete a self-audit ◦Identify incorrect submissions
◦Contain further claim submission errors

?Consider self-disclosure protocol ◦Self-disclosure guidelines available on the OIG website