Wiki incident-to

Jlokloski

Networker
Best answers
I have a question about incident-to. Our NP sees patient's in the office. We have a provider in house seeing other patient's or reading tests. Does the nurse practitioner need to document which doctor is supervising for that day or can we just use our scheduler that tells who is in office for that day?

I have a question about incident-to. Our NP sees patient's in the office. We have a provider in house seeing other patient's or reading tests. Does the nurse practitioner need to document which doctor is supervising for that day or can we just use our scheduler that tells who is in office for that day?

I find that it is generally best to not leave anything up to chance when it comes to solid documentation. I would recommend the NP to document the supervising doctor (or have the EMR somehow clearly reflect this in the note). This will be a proactive measure against any possible future audits.

Here is some reading on the topic (from my local MAC):

Noridian - Incident to Services

I agree with the above recommendation to document it. However, anything I have read about this situation state "should" or "recommend". I am not aware of any requirement that it must be documented within the note.