Wiki Incidental pregnancy Z33.1

Best answers
Hi, I have a question:
Patient was admitted in internal medicine for “Hematemesis after having food from outside” patient is 34 weeks pregnant. Internal medicine physician requested consultation from OBG . Ob Gyne physician has seen the patient & she ordered CTG and ultrasound. There was no documentation from physician that Hematemesis is not affecting pregnancy.
Now my colleagues asking me to code Hematemesis &Z33.1 incidental pregnancy. But I wanted to code pregnancy complications because the word “incidental” doesn’t require any workup . Please advise.

I would use a code from Category O99. These are not codes for a complication of the pregnancy but for current condtions in the mother that complicate the management of the pregnancy. look at the category
O99 Other maternal diseases classifiable elsewhere but complicating pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium
then go to
O99.61 Diseases of the digestive system complicating pregnancy
and for your patient hen O99.613
and code the K92.0 as your secondary code.
and Z3a.34 for the 3rd code.
Any condition the mother has and the testing and treatment of that condition has the ability to affect the fetus, which is why you look for a code for maternal issues that could affect the pregnancy.

I would use a code from Category O99. These are not codes for a complication of the pregnancy but for current condtions in the mother that complicate the management of the pregnancy. look at the category
O99 Other maternal diseases classifiable elsewhere but complicating pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium
then go to
O99.61 Diseases of the digestive system complicating pregnancy
and for your patient hen O99.613
and code the K92.0 as your secondary code.
and Z3a.34 for the 3rd code.
Any condition the mother has and the testing and treatment of that condition has the ability to affect the fetus, which is why you look for a code for maternal issues that could affect the pregnancy.