Wiki Individual Maternity visits

Kholloway

Best answers
Good afternoon,

I was inquiring if anyone knows billing other than global regarding patients pre-natal care. Our office has always billed Globally for maternity but we often have girls come in and ask about copays for each visit and thats what other offices have quoted them, etc.

How does this work? Just E/M visits for each OB check and then bill the Delivery and post partum together? Also what is the appeal of using this method vs. Global Maternity care? Are there any issues that you have found billing individually for all visits i.e. insurance denials or stating that you must bill globally?

Any insight is useful. Thank you!!

This can get sticky. For most of the commercial payers they require the global package billed and will deny individual e/m visits with pregnancy diagnosis attached. Most have a Maternity policy ( such as UHC) available on their websites. They also will specify the conditions under which billing individual or blocks of maternity visits is required. This would include when a patient does not deliver with your practice or changes insurance plans during their pregnancy. I would check with your payers.