Wiki Ineligibly on EOB

Best answers
The insurance has a limited benefit for office visits. The insurance says the patient responsibility is still $50 copay but they are not paying the rest of the allowable. Does the patient get changed the remaining allowable?

Are there are denial or remark codes on the remit that indicate the balance is patient responsibility? I would not guess - I would call the insurance and request clarification and a correct remit if appropriate.

Agree with Sharon. These are patient responsibility without a doubt. Look at the Member Liability fields - the Total of each line is the sum of the ineligible amount + the copay due. The total member liability is also equal to the Allowed Charges listed. And last, but not least, the Pay To code is PR (Patient Responsibility).

Thank you all. I just needed to see these responses from other certified coders as my higher is not certified. One last question: I'm just entering under ded, copay, coins, whichever our policy wishes to call it? I've never seen a policy for billing/coding...

Yes, just be consistent with what you call it. I would probably call it "coinsurance", as I've had people argue with me that it's not a copay. I can attach a code in my system when I'm posting the payment, and I would attach one that says "Maximum benefit reached."