Wiki Infertility sono and hsg

Best answers
Good morning fellow coders!

I have a physician who did a hysterosalpingogram to determine tubal patency and then decided that a sonohysterogram was needed to evaluate the patient's uterus. How would this be correctly coded?

Any modifier placement? 58340 x2?

Learning the correct way to code! Thank you!
Thank you so much for your assistance!

Last edited:
We only perform sonohysterograms in our office, so not sure of the exact coding for both together, but I can say that if it was all one session, and the saline was still infused, then I don't think you would bill the 58340 twice. You will likely have trouble getting this claim paid right off the bat and will have to submit records to prove that there were truly two separate services performed for two separate reasons. I think you will need a 59 modifier somewhere as well, but not sure to which code.

We only perform sonohysterograms in our office, so not sure of the exact coding for both together, but I can say that if it was all one session, and the saline was still infused, then I don't think you would bill the 58340 twice. You will likely have trouble getting this claim paid right off the bat and will have to submit records to prove that there were truly two separate services performed for two separate reasons. I think you will need a 59 modifier somewhere as well, but not sure to which code.

This is great information! Thank you!