Influenza and Strep Throat diagnosis on same visit!!

kgreen896

New
Best answers
Can anyone help me out with Influenza A and Strep throat diagnosis? I am not suppose to code these together. Can anyone give any suggestions on the proper way to code these diagnosis in ICD -10? Thanks for your help

Hi ,

I would code both the dx as Influenza A description states (J09.X2: Influenza due to identified novel influenza A virus with pharyngitis) but it does not specify the type . Hence, I will code J02.0 Streptococcal pharyngitis as well.

Thanks,
Sarita

Hey thanks so much for replying. J02.0 has an exclude 1 note of J09.X2, J10.1, J11.1. So I wouldn't be able to Use J09.X2 with J02.0. Any other suggestion.

We are receiving the same denial. Per Rep page 700 ICD 10 Acute upper respiratory infections (J00-J06) Excludes influenza virus with other respiratory manifestations (j09.x2,j10.1,j11.1) They are saying we can't use any other dx pages 700 and 701 which is odd So we can't bill the Flu with any other dx Strep J02.0 or Sinusitis J01.00 We are waiting a reply from the carrier

we bypass the edit and code both J10.1 and J02.0. These are two totally separate infections, since the influenza is caused by a virus and the strep pharyngitis is caused by a bacteria. J10.1 covers an unspecified or viral pharyngitis. Flu and strep throat may seem like one and the same, but they are different illnesses. The flu is caused by a virus and strep throat is caused by bacteria

I am getting an error with Health Alliance insurance when using dx codes J02.9 and J10.1 at the same time. I see an error comes up when using J02.0 and J10.1 at the same time but not J02.9. Maybe I am missing something. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you