Wiki Infusion Coding

marianne202

Contributor
Best answers
I'm looking for some easy to understand decision trees and rules for infusion and injection coding for our nurses. They don't seem to be able to understand the written descriptions, so I'm thinking a decision tree or simple charge sheet might work better. Does anyone have any samples or suggestions for a decision tree and a simple, clear charge sheet with easy to understand descriptions? I know I can buy some textbooks on the subject, but I don't want to overwhelm them because they are already too confused. We are losing a lot of revenue downgrading to injections to any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

infusion coding

Hi Marianne;
I've been coding for Oncology for 10 years now, and being a nurse in my previous life, here's what we have our nurses do;
We have them document the drugs given, the dosages, and the times they went up, and down. As you may or may not know, CPT coding choices depend on the time elapsed administering the meds, and the admin code depends on the category of med.
Ex;
Mr. Jones received Cetuximab 100 mg IV from 5:00 until 5:30-
The correct code would be, 96413, for the chemo, given over 15 minutes.and the HCPCS code for the drug, in units is J9055, for 10 units.
If it was given for 15 minutes or less.; the admin code would be 96401; for chemo.injection.
hope this helps!
Diana