Wiki infusion stopped half way through

Yoody65

Best answers
we saw a patient today for a generic Reclast infusion. Pt insisted that we place the needle in her hand though we encouraged her to use her arm. The tubing failed on the first attempt and another IV had to be placed. Half way through the patient insisted the infusion be stopped as she was in too much pain to continue.

My question is, are we out the cost of the medication? We used over half a vial. This medication expensive and we would like to be able to recoup at least part:
1. Can we bill pt? 2. Can we bill insurance (my thought is "no") 3. Do we have to write off?

Thanks for any info.
Judy

Reclast is a Single dose vial so you can bill for the waste. I would bill the total 5mg and in line 19 put the waste. For the DX since the pt complained of pain I would use 995.20-reaction to drug, and 780.96 for generalized pain or the code for which ever body area the pain occurred. Make sure everything is documented, including the start and stop times and the reaction, etc. Only bill the time that the drug was actually given.

That is how we bill a chemo/infusion when it is stopped before the whole drug is given due too a reaction.

Hope that helps.

Lydia :)