Wiki Inital/Subsequent codes

W11042006

New
Best answers
I am at working entering all the ICD-10 codes into our software and I noticed that there are a few initial/subsequent codes. My question is initial is for the first visit and then after that we are suppose to use subsequent codes right? My docs are telling me no you are suppose to stay away from subsequent codes.

It would be very helpful if you would read the guidelines for 2015. They are very clear regarding the use of initial and subsequent. It is incorrect to say "stay away from subsequent".. And as far as quiet a few... YES! In fact ever injury is coded for initial, subsequent, or sequela. Most of the external causes as well. A a few of the codes in the musculoskeletal chapter(M00-M99). It will help if you see initial not as a first encounter but active treatment if an active condition. These are patient diagnosis codes and not provider encounter codes. These are not based on whether this is your providers first encounter with the patient, but rather whether this is the patients encounter for active treatment. You can have multiple initial encounters in fact . Subsequent will indicate that the condition is now in a healing or aftercare status. Thus is all well explained in the coding guidelines.