Wiki Initial observation care by 2 different providers on same date

Best answers
This patient was seen and admitted for initial observation care on 4/4/22 at 2 a.m. by Dr. A, family practice specialty, who documents a detailed history, comprehensive exam and moderate MDM. The patient was also seen at 5:30 a.m. on 4/4/22 by Dr. B, also family practice specialty but from a different office, who documents an EPF history, comprehensive exam and moderate MDM. Even though they're from different groups outside the hospital, can they be billed as providers from the same group in the hospital since they're both working as hospitalists in the same specialty, and can I combine their notes for coding? Or can I only code from one of the notes since they're from different offices outside the hospital?

I think this is a question you need to ask your manager. You can only bill one visit since they are both of the same specialty, and if the physicians are working for the same tax ID while performing these visits, then you can combine the visits. But which practice it needs to be billed by and whether or not you can combine the notes will depend on the compensation arrangement that is in place between the hospital and these physicians. In other words, the revenue needs to go to the organization or group that is responsible for paying the physicians for these visits, so you'll need to find out which that is, and that is the group that you need to be billing for.