Wiki initial VS sub sequent tratment

shantatc

Best answers
Hi all,

my query is

a patient treatment duration is 12/04/2016 to 12/09/2015. and now I am coding on the DOS 12/06/2016, and the patient admitted as inpatient on 12/04/2016 form on provider, but as the DOS i am coding 12/06/2015, the patient was treated by the another provider or doc ( he is a new provider is not related with the previous group), so as of now i need to code for the provider for DOS on 12/06/2014 am I need to consider as initial encounter for the provider or need to consider as subsequent encounter.

please suggest.

Just use decision tree for new vs established patient in CPT text,
If he doesn't receive treatment from a same physician or different physician of same speciality within last three year he is a new patient.

ER / Inpatient / Observation E&M do not have a separate new vs established codes. I'm interested in hearing the answer as to whether initial inpatient is only for admitting, first provider to see? only on first day? Is subsequent for every other visit? I did read one place that its 1 initial per specialty and all other visits under the same specialty are subsequent

Last edited: