Wiki Initiate contraception vs. monitor contraception

clipman

New
Best answers
Had this question come from some of our providers an I can't find anything out there to help me answer it. Can someone help?

None of us are clear on when to bill “initiate contraception” versus “monitor contraception” if a patient has previously been on a method. For example: a patient previously used pills, stopped for a period of time and was using condoms, now is restarting pills. Is this initiation of the method, or monitor, since she has been on it before? Is there a certain amount of time that is required to pass before it would be initiating again (for example it seems that some clinics are coding it as initiation even if the client is just restarting after 1 week of being out and using condoms, while other clinics code as monitor BC even if the patient is restarting a method she has not used for several years)? It seems that different clinics are doing different things in terms of the coding, so it would be good to clear this up across the board.

If the patient got a prescription for oral meds i sue v2501 as the diagnosis. If they just come to get counseled about contraception I used v259 (routine examination).