Wiki Injection of Alcohol through existing catheter

pattivest

Networker
Best answers
I have a doctor who has a patient scheduled today and the procedure that he has planned is as follows. The patient currently has a percutaneous cholecystomstomy tube. The patient's gall bladder is diseased (he has not defined what he means by diseased). The patient is not a surgical candidate. He intends to inject alcohol into the gall bladder through the existing catheter to kill the gall bladder. I have never heard of this procedure being done before so am unsure how to code it. The doctor states that it is similar to a biliary catheter check which we would normally assign a CPT code of 47999. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I do not have a report to share in that the patient is not scheduled to come in until this afternoon.

I would use 47505 for a biliary catheter check... (Injection procedure for cholangiography through an existing catheter (eg, percutaneous transhepatic or T-tube))

or since there is no code for this alcohol injection for destruction of the gallbladder, you could go with an unlisted code.