Wiki Injection/office visit

richelle25

Guru
Best answers
If my provider sees an established patient for knee arthritis and states the conditioning is worsening and recommends injections (which the patient has received in the past) but also recommends tylenol or other otc, would this qualify as significant, separately identifiable evaluation and would constitute using the 25 modifer as a level 3 office visit?

Not necessarily. It depends on the documentation.
This was a post discussing a little different question but there is a reference to the 25 w/ minor procedure info in it. https://www.aapc.com/discuss/threads/e-m-with-procedure-whos-right.186171/?view=date#post-509410
If you search 25 modifier 20610, etc. you will find this has been discussed a lot. The documentation would have to support a 25 modifier. If you crossed out everything to do with the injection, would that stand alone to support an E/M w/ 25? Probably not. Especially for a known patient who has had the same injections for the same problem established to the provider.

Thank you, I feel like I have read just about everything I can find regarding this issue and keep coming up with different results.

I have the same issue with the physicians at our office wanting to bill office visits with injection procedures for established patients. More specifically, our physician will bill an office visit when the patient is coming in for their 2nd or 3rd injection in a gel series. The note will contain an updated history, an exam, and the assessment and plan established from visits prior all for this one diagnosis. Technically, this would qualify for the AMA's description of 'significant, separate': "documentation that satisfies the relevant criteria for the respective E/M service to be reported."

But is it appropriate? Is a coder able to make a determination of medical necessity? That is the confusing and frustrating part.

Depending on how your provider documents, it may be helpful to try amyjph's recommendation of ' crossing out everything to do with the injection' and seeing what is left.

I have the same issue with the physicians at our office wanting to bill office visits with injection procedures for established patients. More specifically, our physician will bill an office visit when the patient is coming in for their 2nd or 3rd injection in a gel series. The note will contain an updated history, an exam, and the assessment and plan established from visits prior all for this one diagnosis. Technically, this would qualify for the AMA's description of 'significant, separate': "documentation that satisfies the relevant criteria for the respective E/M service to be reported."

But is it appropriate? Is a coder able to make a determination of medical necessity? That is the confusing and frustrating part.

Depending on how your provider documents, it may be helpful to try amyjph's recommendation of ' crossing out everything to do with the injection' and seeing what is left.
If the intent of the visit was a scheduled injection in a series and there are no new or different complaints/diagnoses you can't bill an E/M-25 with it. Monovisc, Orthovisc, Hyalgan, etc. Your provider is putting themselves and the practice at risk doing this. It does not qualify for a 25. It was a planned procedure. They already got credit for making that decision and planning for the injections at the prior visit where an E/M was billed and the decision was made.

https://www.cms.gov/medicare-coverage-database/view/article.aspx?articleId=56157 https://www.cms.gov/medicare-coverage-database/view/article.aspx?articleId=59030&ver=6
  • An E&M service should not be reported for subsequent injections unless there was a separately identifiable problem for which the E&M service was required and rendered.
This is older but has relevant points: https://www.facs.org/media/lakjjn3f/2016_12_modifier25.pdf
Reporting an E/M code and a procedure code when your evaluation is limited to assessing the specific problem (for example, an abscess) is essentially double billing for the pre-service evaluation. Your E/M must significantly exceed the pre-service evaluation already paid as part of the procedure for it to qualify as significant and separately identifiable. If it does not, only the procedure should be billed.

Now, let's say the patient comes in for the injection on the RT knee, and they go "oh by the way my LT knee hurts too". The provider does an exam, XRay, and work for the LT knee, then you would bill an E/M w/25.

Using the cross out method is really helpful if you can't decide or are a newer coder learning.

If the intent of the visit was a scheduled injection in a series and there are no new or different complaints/diagnoses you can't bill an E/M-25 with it. Monovisc, Orthovisc, Hyalgan, etc. Your provider is putting themselves and the practice at risk doing this. It does not qualify for a 25. It was a planned procedure. They already got credit for making that decision and planning for the injections at the prior visit where an E/M was billed and the decision was made.

https://www.cms.gov/medicare-coverage-database/view/article.aspx?articleId=56157 https://www.cms.gov/medicare-coverage-database/view/article.aspx?articleId=59030&ver=6
  • An E&M service should not be reported for subsequent injections unless there was a separately identifiable problem for which the E&M service was required and rendered.
This is older but has relevant points: https://www.facs.org/media/lakjjn3f/2016_12_modifier25.pdf
Reporting an E/M code and a procedure code when your evaluation is limited to assessing the specific problem (for example, an abscess) is essentially double billing for the pre-service evaluation. Your E/M must significantly exceed the pre-service evaluation already paid as part of the procedure for it to qualify as significant and separately identifiable. If it does not, only the procedure should be billed.

Now, let's say the patient comes in for the injection on the RT knee, and they go "oh by the way my LT knee hurts too". The provider does an exam, XRay, and work for the LT knee, then you would bill an E/M w/25.

Using the cross out method is really helpful if you can't decide or are a newer coder learning.
Do you have an example of the cross out method, or would it be possible to attach an office note example. My providers are adamant that when an established patient is receiving repeat injections, that they have had in the past, they are reevaluating, conditioning is worsening and they are recommending otc, which would fall as a level 3. This is where the confusion is coming in, if the patient was not receiving the injection, they would still qualify as a level 3. Thank you for any advise.

Do you have an example of the cross out method, or would it be possible to attach an office note example. My providers are adamant that when an established patient is receiving repeat injections, that they have had in the past, they are reevaluating, conditioning is worsening and they are recommending otc, which would fall as a level 3. This is where the confusion is coming in, if the patient was not receiving the injection, they would still qualify as a level 3. Thank you for any advise.
We may be touching on two different scenarios. In one, the patient has already been seen (recently) and they decided on a visco injection series, injections are scheduled and that is the sole purpose the patient returns.
In the second (which I think is what you are talking about) is an established patient comes in with worsening OA/pain. The provider re-evaluates and decides on either visco or maybe cortisone to be given or started at that visit. In this case it may be entirely appropriate to code the E/M & the 25. That's why initially I said it depends on the documentation. Each of these would have to be taken on a case by case basis. In many cases patients are managed with OA for years before they finally end up with a TKA or THA or TSA depending on the joint.

Maybe a patient had come in last year or 6 months ago, has been managing with OTC meds but now it's getting worse and it's time for injections. It would make sense to see an E/M and injection at this point because it has been so long since the patient was last seen. There could be health status or other changes that have to be considered, they may need new Xrays. On the other hand, maybe the provider saw the patient a week or two ago, they tried OTC but also talked about injections, it still hurts, they come back in and get an injection. Has anything changed, was the note exactly the same except now says, yup let's give you an injection (like we talked about a couple weeks ago)?
There is no 100% yes or no, it depends on the encounter. However, if it is for a #2 or #3 in a Visco series, it's more than likely a hard no (unless something else is wrong and evaluated/managed). I know people always want a black and white answer but it's not possible :)

Some of these may help:

I don't have any notes. If you can print one out just take a pencil and cross out anything related to the H&P (pre-service), actual administration of the injection (intra-service), and post procedure result/directions (post-service). That is all work that is counted toward the 20610/20611.

We may be touching on two different scenarios. In one, the patient has already been seen (recently) and they decided on a visco injection series, injections are scheduled and that is the sole purpose the patient returns.
In the second (which I think is what you are talking about) is an established patient comes in with worsening OA/pain. The provider re-evaluates and decides on either visco or maybe cortisone to be given or started at that visit. In this case it may be entirely appropriate to code the E/M & the 25. That's why initially I said it depends on the documentation. Each of these would have to be taken on a case by case basis. In many cases patients are managed with OA for years before they finally end up with a TKA or THA or TSA depending on the joint.

Maybe a patient had come in last year or 6 months ago, has been managing with OTC meds but now it's getting worse and it's time for injections. It would make sense to see an E/M and injection at this point because it has been so long since the patient was last seen. There could be health status or other changes that have to be considered, they may need new Xrays. On the other hand, maybe the provider saw the patient a week or two ago, they tried OTC but also talked about injections, it still hurts, they come back in and get an injection. Has anything changed, was the note exactly the same except now says, yup let's give you an injection (like we talked about a couple weeks ago)?
There is no 100% yes or no, it depends on the encounter. However, if it is for a #2 or #3 in a Visco series, it's more than likely a hard no (unless something else is wrong and evaluated/managed). I know people always want a black and white answer but it's not possible :)

Some of these may help:

I don't have any notes. If you can print one out just take a pencil and cross out anything related to the H&P (pre-service), actual administration of the injection (intra-service), and post procedure result/directions (post-service). That is all work that is counted toward the 20610/20611.
Thank you so much for your input.

Thank you for this input, amyjph, it's really helpful. I checked my local MAC's LCD for any definitive statements such as the ones you've provided above and unfortunately, they don't include such, so it's been hard to give the providers that definitive proof to really enforce what I'm trying to tell them. I will keep trying at it. It doesn't help either they are chronic copy & pasters when it comes to the encounter notes.

Thank you for this input, amyjph, it's really helpful. I checked my local MAC's LCD for any definitive statements such as the ones you've provided above and unfortunately, they don't include such, so it's been hard to give the providers that definitive proof to really enforce what I'm trying to tell them. I will keep trying at it. It doesn't help either they are chronic copy & pasters when it comes to the encounter notes.
You're welcome.
If you have denials and/or failed appeals you can show them that way, money talks. CERT or TPE from CMS also can help "show" them.
There are many times the E/M w/ 25 and a procedure are appropriate and I would fight for those, but many do not meet the definition of modifier 25.
Is the practice getting a lot of letters about being an outlier and modifier 25 or high utilization from payers? That sometimes is a clue too that you are on the radar.

On NGS, this is in the podiatry section, but would apply in general:

Podiatry Billing Guide​

Modifier Usage​

25 – Significant, Separately Identifiable E/M Service by the Same Physician on the Same Day of the Procedure or Other Service​

Medicare allows payment for an E/M service performed on the same day as a minor surgical procedure, if all requirements are met. The term surgery or service includes therapeutic injections and wound repairs. The additional E/M service must be separately identifiable from the surgical procedure and require significant effort above and beyond the usual pre and post procedure service routinely required for the procedure. A significant, separately identifiable E/M service is defined or substantiated by documentation that satisfies the relevant criteria for the respective E/M service to be reported. Medical records should document the E/M service to such an extent that, upon review, the extra effort may be readily identifiable. Note: The diagnosis may be the same for both the E/M and the surgery/procedure.

After reading all of the information on E/M with a 25 modifier and the 20610. I think it is clear that office visits with CPTs that have a 0-10 day global (such as the 20610) do not allow a separate identifiable E/M if the reason the patient came in with pain on their knee due to OA and they receive an injection - it is all included in the 20610 unless of course the provider is seeing the patient also for their hypertension for example then you can add the 25 modifier. Whether the patient is new or established the 20610 includes the pre op care for making the decision for the arthrocentesis.

But what about a simple injection of a 96372 which has a 0-day global only. I do think after doing some research that the global concept doesn't apply to this code and therefore with an injection and an office visit you would use the 25 modifier on the E/M and then 96372. Does everyone agree??

You're welcome.
If you have denials and/or failed appeals you can show them that way, money talks. CERT or TPE from CMS also can help "show" them.
There are many times the E/M w/ 25 and a procedure are appropriate and I would fight for those, but many do not meet the definition of modifier 25.
Is the practice getting a lot of letters about being an outlier and modifier 25 or high utilization from payers? That sometimes is a clue too that you are on the radar.

On NGS, this is in the podiatry section, but would apply in general:

Podiatry Billing Guide​

Modifier Usage​

25 – Significant, Separately Identifiable E/M Service by the Same Physician on the Same Day of the Procedure or Other Service​

Medicare allows payment for an E/M service performed on the same day as a minor surgical procedure, if all requirements are met. The term surgery or service includes therapeutic injections and wound repairs. The additional E/M service must be separately identifiable from the surgical procedure and require significant effort above and beyond the usual pre and post procedure service routinely required for the procedure. A significant, separately identifiable E/M service is defined or substantiated by documentation that satisfies the relevant criteria for the respective E/M service to be reported. Medical records should document the E/M service to such an extent that, upon review, the extra effort may be readily identifiable. Note: The diagnosis may be the same for both the E/M and the surgery/procedure.
Much appreciated! Thank you for these resources.

ss
Amy, I know this is an older post, but I have some similar questions. I have reviewed Medicare's rules and AMA's guide on modifier 25. My question is, do x-rays count as significant and separately identifiable, or are they considered to be apart of the "assessment of the problem area to be treated by surgical or other services"?

In one particular example, the patient has been diagnosed with bilateral OA of the knees. She has been receiving cortisone injections for the past 6 months. During her 6 month visit, the doctor decides it is time to reevaluate the patient's condition (no new or worsening symptoms have been noted). Her regular injections are given and x-rays are taken of both knees and do not show the condition has worsened. In this instance, would the x-ray qualify as going above and beyond or would it be considered included?

-Ashley

ss

Amy, I know this is an older post, but I have some similar questions. I have reviewed Medicare's rules and AMA's guide on modifier 25. My question is, do x-rays count as significant and separately identifiable, or are they considered to be apart of the "assessment of the problem area to be treated by surgical or other services"?

In one particular example, the patient has been diagnosed with bilateral OA of the knees. She has been receiving cortisone injections for the past 6 months. During her 6 month visit, the doctor decides it is time to reevaluate the patient's condition (no new or worsening symptoms have been noted). Her regular injections are given and x-rays are taken of both knees and do not show the condition has worsened. In this instance, would the x-ray qualify as going above and beyond or would it be considered included?

-Ashley
Is the provider being paid separately for TC/26 or global fee of the X-Ray performance on the same date? How will the documentation justify appending a 25 modifier and getting paid separately for an E/M, two injections, and the separately paid X-Rays on the same date?
Established patient, already diagnosed with (B) OA, scheduled visit for routine injections again, nothing new or worse condition wise, new XR, injections given. What supports a separate E/M here?
It will always come back to the documentation.

Is the provider being paid separately for TC/26 or global fee of the X-Ray performance on the same date? How will the documentation justify appending a 25 modifier and getting paid separately for an E/M, two injections, and the separately paid X-Rays on the same date?
Established patient, already diagnosed with (B) OA, scheduled visit for routine injections again, nothing new or worse condition wise, new XR, injections given. What supports a separate E/M here?
It will always come back to the documentation.
Thank you. I'm pretty confident in coding E/M services with minor procedures when there is a new problem. The follow-up office visits with injections are what confuse me. Most of the time, I find that the E/M procedures are not billable with injections. However, there are still a few incidences that have me questioning my understanding of what constitutes and E/M service as significant and separately identifiable.

I see a lot of E/M visits where the problem is pain (let's say shoulder) and an MRI is ordered. During the follow-up visit, the MRI is read but not billed for, and a diagnosis is discovered (let's say OA of the shoulder). Then, decision for minor surgery is made and the doctor performs injection of the shoulder joint. In this instance, since the injection was not pre-planned and diagnosis was determined during this visit, would this qualify the E/M to be billed with modifier 25?

I do understand it comes down to documentation, but I don't understand what work qualifies an E/M service as significant and separately identifiable from a minor procedure. For instance, AMA's fact sheet on modifier 25 indicates assessment of the problem area to be treated by surgical services is included in the pre-operative services of a minor procedure. Would that include interpretation of an MRI?

AMA also indicates that discussion of any further treatment and follow up after the procedure is included in the post-operative services. Does this include a referral to physical therapy with a written plan of care?

Those general terms are what really set me back.

-Ashley