Wiki Injury coding

Scatlot

Networker
Best answers
We have a patient coming to our Wound Care Center that had a crush injury to his foot two weeks prior. I feel that it is appropriate to code the 928.20, crush injury to foot, but would like to know your opinions. There were no fractures, only a heavy object rolling over the patient's foot. The confusion for me is when to code something to a late effect, and when to code as an acute injury.

Thanks!

I would think 982.20 is the perfect code. If there is a broken bone or bruising then use an aditional code.

The 982.20 code is for the acute wound. This ia a follow up visit for wound care. You need a V code unless there is a complication.

Thanks for your input!

Since posting this, I've obtained additional information. The patient was initially seen by his family physician two weeks after the injury and was referred to the Wound Care Center on the same day. There were fractures in the toes. There was no open wound. The patient was still suffering from the initial crush injury of the foot. Using the endcoder without chosing the acute injury, it codes out to 982.20. Thanks for your posts, and I will keep pondering!