Wiki Injxn indium 111 for cisternography

Best answers
Hiya,
I have an LP Lumber with injxn. of Indium 111 done by IR prior to Cisternography to be done by Nuc Med.
I found code 62311, but it says...injxn...except of neurolytic agent...and Indium 111 is a neurolytic agent....
Is anyone familiar with these and which code to use for the injection into the Lumbar Spine?
Thanks.
Margie

FYI...Coding from a previous Nuc Med Inquiry, AAPC Site ....

A cisternogram is done to demonstrate the flow and track of cerebro-spinal fluid around the head. It is done to ensure there are no leaks of cerebrospinal fluid out of the body (through the nose, for instance) and also to diagnose a brain condition known as NPH (normal pressure hydrocephalus). The interventional radiologist performs a lumbar puncture and introduces a small amount of isotope into the spinal fluid. Pictures of the patient's head and back are taken about four hours later and then again after 24 hours.

The appropriate code to describe this procedure is 78630 (Cerebrospinal fluid flow, imaging [not including introduction of material]; cisternography) for the radiological side.

Depending on site of the puncture, one of the following injection codes would apply:

?62310 - Injection, single (not via indwelling catheter), not including neurolytic substances, with or without contrast (for either localization or epidurography), of diagnostic or therapeutic substance(s) (including anesthetic, antispasmodic, opioid, steroid, other solution), epidural or subarachnoid; cervical or thoracic

?62311 - ... lumbar, sacral (caudal).

Since your dictation specifies injection into the subarachnoid space, this procedure should resolve with 62310.

You can charge for fluoroscopy only if the radiologist does not read the cisternogram. If you charge the RS&I (radiological supervision and interpretation), you can't charge the fluoroscopic guidance because it is included in RS&I.

Vikas Maheshwari
MBA-HCS, CPC-H
vikashmaheshwari@gmail.com

vikas,
I wanted to use 62311...as the area is Lumbar...but the code description states, except for injxn of a neurolytic substance, which Indium 111 is....so are you saying I should still use 62311? The IR dr. did just the injxn, and then nuc med did the 78630...so if 62311 is okay for me to use, i'd also use 77003....do you agree?