Wiki Inpatient discharge and psychotherapy same day

mom2all82

Contributor
Best answers
I have a provider who is doing discharge management and psychotherapy the same day/visit. She is billing subsequent with psychotherapy instead of discharge. What is the proper billing when she performs discharge management services and psychotherapy services at the same visit?

Thank you

I have a provider who is doing discharge management and psychotherapy the same day/visit. She is billing subsequent with psychotherapy instead of discharge. What is the proper billing when she performs discharge management services and psychotherapy services at the same visit?

Thank you

Just to clarify, are the psychotherapy and discharge management are occurring simultaneously in one face-to-face encounter? What codes are currently being billed out? What type of provider is this?

Thank you

Hi,
She should bill the Hosp Discharge code 99238 (<30 min) or 99239 (>30 min) and the appropriate ADD ON psychotherapy cpt code.