Wiki Inpatient E/M

daniel

True Blue
Best answers
I'm coding for Inpatient E/M at my work. And came across a note that the physician did the following.

CCU SUPPLEMENT
The patient has tachycardia HR 140-170. EKG showed regular rhythm. The patient's SBP around 110.
I proceed to cardiovert the patient with Adenosine 6 mg IV x1. The patient was on continuous monitor. Monitor showed atrial flutter. The patient did not convert. He remains stable throughout

Can I charge for this in a Inpatient setting. For some reason I'm thinking to add CPT 96374 or 93015 for this.

(By the way the Critical Care note is complete, this note above is a separate note).

Some guidance please.

Thank You
Daniel ,CPC

Last edited:
I'm confused. Maybe because this really isn't my area anymore I'm out of touch with cardiology but I have no idea what is going on.

If the patient is critical why are they put on a treadmill/bike? Of course I don't get that from the note but thats what 93015 is.

Laura, CPC, CPMA, CEMC

Cardiovascular stress test using maximal or submaximal treadmill or bicycle exercise, continuous electrocardiographic monitoring, and/or pharmacological stress; with physician supervision, with interpretation and report

I'm not saying they were on a treadmill, if you look at this code it includes and/or pharmacological stress. Which mean the physician injects a pharmacological agent to simulate the effects of exercise on a patients heart.