Wiki Inpatient newborn care

hthompson

Guru
Best answers
Dr. provided initial hospital care and resuscitated newborn who also had hypoglycemia.

Is this correct?

I'm confused by the diagnosis codes for newborns. Do I put V30.00 on all newborn visits if they were vag delivery?

How do I add the hypoglycemia?

V30.00

or do I drop the V30.00 when I have a "sick" dx?

The newborn V codes are always primary, regardless of any of diagnosis the newborn might have.

V30.00 is for vaginal deliveries, V30.01 is for C-sections.

If a newborn has hypoglycemia, with no mention of a diabetic mother, you are correct it is 775.6

As to your CPTs I am unsure if those are correct as I am a facility coder. Hopefully someone else can advise if those are right.

Another question:

Baby born early in the morning, Doc A from our practice delivers baby and does 99460 Newborn H&P. Doc B comes in 19 hours later and does a newborn check which would normally be 99462; however, since baby was born so early in the morning, it's still the same day. Can the f/u visit still be billed? Is there a way to inform the insurance of the scenario with a modifier?

Thanks!!

Another question:

Baby born early in the morning, Doc A from our practice delivers baby and does 99460 Newborn H&P. Doc B comes in 19 hours later and does a newborn check which would normally be 99462; however, since baby was born so early in the morning, it's still the same day. Can the f/u visit still be billed? Is there a way to inform the insurance of the scenario with a modifier?

Thanks!!

The newborn hospital care codes are per day, so can only reported once per day no matter how many time the physician visits.

Hope this clarifies!

Dr. provided initial hospital care and resuscitated newborn who also had hypoglycemia.

Is this correct?

I'm confused by the diagnosis codes for newborns. Do I put V30.00 on all newborn visits if they were vag delivery?

How do I add the hypoglycemia?

V30.00

or do I drop the V30.00 when I have a "sick" dx?
I code for several neonatologists. I would not use 99460 for a sick baby. 99460 & 99462 are for well babies only. Use 99221 instead. (This is assuming of course, that the baby doesn't require intensive observation which necessitates a 99477.) Check out http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/practicemgt/codingresources/newborncare.html
The above link has very good explanations of newborn coding.

Also I only use v codes with well babies. (I believe this is different than is done in facility side coding). For 99464 (attendance at delivery) I use 763.4 instead of v30.01. When using a 99465 make sure that you use a dx requiring resuscitation such as 770.84 as well.