Wiki Inpatient Psychiatric coding information

Best answers
Morning

Can anyone help with telling me where I can get some Inpatient coding information. I'm training on Psychiatric medical coding. I'm looking for resources that will be helpful in my training.

Thank you

Wanda

Check on your MAC's website. I find useful articles/training. What type of facility? I work for an entity that has it's own psychiatric inpatient unit POS 51.

For an understanding of diagnoses I have access to the DSM-5 through our corporate enrollment with the publisher: https://dsm.psychiatryonline.org
Although these do not always crosswalk to the ICD-10 options, it can give you a good understanding of the disorders. Our providers use DSM-5 when assigning diagnoses and our EMR crosswalks to ICD-10, but when coding IP I sometimes need to use a better ICD-10 from their description.
Although not currently used with the transition to the 2021 E&M guidelines, I still find the 1997 specialty guidelines helpful to understand what the providers are doing in their history and exam portions. I did a lot of internet searching for resources on mental health when I first started in this field 10 years ago.

For professional services these fall under the hospital E&Ms. We bill these on 1500 claims.

Our rev codes for facility are 0124 for the per diem rate for psych and 0126 for substance abuse. Other rev codes used are 0250 for medication and 0300 for labs. Specific UB-04 instructions can usually be found under the IP rules for your MAC and state Medicaid.

AAPC has a number of resources on behavioral health.

Hi Wanda
Here is some things may want to be aware of follow therapist or MD 's documentation and list dx assessments do not add if not noted
1. Use Z dx HO codes last, if pt has had suicide in past add that Z dx code,
2. Understand =differ in remission vs recurrent in dx block of F32-F33, F02.Understand use, abuse, dependence and uncomplicated related to types of sub abuse
3.Sometimes therapist use sub abuse but have them define which one F10, F12, F17
4. If provider document patient has cried, irritated, Etc see dx block R45
5.If patient has Chronic Pain Syndrome G89......please have the list reason (Depression , Amputation, Divorced, Widower, PTSD, Constant illness, Insomnia , Etc)
6. Understand difference in dx Z51.81 vs Z76.00 and Z79.89 coding on claim lastly
7. If patient is Homeless...put reason Depression PTSD Biploar ,Sub Abuse, Autism, Dementia,
8. There few assessment codes of question therapist ask patient if depressed, has PTSD, Etc see CPT 96127 group but just bundled into the Eva Mgt code for beh health unless that is all do for visit
Well hope this data helps a little bit
Lady T