Inpatient visits for Ortho

Amzie

Networker
Best answers
Hello,

A patient comes in through the ER and is admitted for a femoral shaft fracture and a physician did surgery on the patient. The next day one of my ortho physicians ended up seeing the patient post op in the hospital several times, are we able to bill for inpatient follow up visits 99231-99233? Patient did have surgery by a provider outside our group so can we technically code for the inpatient visits or is this still considered post op even though we did not do the surgery?

Can someone let me know or sight me information.

I greatly appreciate it.

Are they different specialties? Why did your physicians see the patient instead of the surgeon seeing the patient (were they a general surgeon)?

No they are same specialties, both Ortho surgeons. Honestly I have no idea, I believe that our physician knows this other Ortho physician and he asked him to cover while he was away (not sure why he didn't have someone from within our group do it).
I have someone saying that we can bill for the visits because it's separate TIN's but I am not sure since there is really no agreement or transfer of care happening.

So the ortho who performed the surgery is not part of your group it sounds like. If that surgeon does not bill with a modifier indicating that they are performing the surgery only and not the aftercare, its very probable that your physician will not get paid by the insurance. I have encountered this more than once. FYI: There are multiple specialties within orthopedics.

Thank you for the information! Yes I know there are multiple specialties in Ortho, and if I knew exactly what the other physicians was I would of stated so but unfortunately I don’t. Thank you