Wiki Inpt/Obs Initial E/M vs. Inpt/Obs consultations

jmart81

New
Best answers
We are currently having issues with Observation Consultation codes 99251-99255 being denied as POS code is incorrect. We are billing these codes to insurance companies that due accept consult codes. I code for Specialty providers who have been asked to consult on a patient that came in through the ER and was then transferred to Observation. My provider did not see the patient in the ER and the providers note state the referring provider. Our POS code is 22.

When I have called on these claims, I have been told that we should be using 99221-99233. We are not the the provider who saw the patient in the ER or admitted the patient as observation. My providers are also not part of the same group or have the same specialty or subspecialty as the admitting provider.

They are saying that because the guidelines below states encounter in another site of service (ER) that in the guidelines for 99221-99223 it states

►When the patient is admitted to the hospital as an inpatient or to observation status in the course of an encounter in another site of service (eg, hospital emergency department, office, nursing facility), the services in the initial site may be separately reported. Modifier 25 may be added to the other evaluation and management service to indicate a significant, separately identifiable service by the same physician or other qualified health care professional was performed on the same date. In the case when the services in a separate site are reported and the initial inpatient or observation care service is a consultation service, do not report 99221, 99222, 99223, 99252,99253, 99254, 99255. The consultant reports the subsequent hospital inpatient or observation care codes 99231, 99232, 99233 for the second service on the same date. If a consultation is performed in anticipation of, or related to, an admission by another physician or other qualified health care professional, and then the same consultant performs an encounter once the patient is admitted by the other physician or other qualified health care professional ,report the consultant’s inpatient encounter with the appropriate subsequent care code (99231,99232, 99233). This instruction applies whether the consultation occurred on the date of the admission or a date previous to the admission. It also applies for consultations reported with any appropriate code (eg, office or other outpatient visit or office or other outpatient consultation).For a patient admitted and discharged from hospital inpatient or observation status on the same date, report 99234, 99235, 99236, as appropriate. For the purpose of reporting an initial hospital inpatient or observation care service, a transition from observation level to inpatient does not constitute a new stay.◄

Outpatient consults are codes 99242—99245. You are using inpatient consult codes, which is why they are denying for pos. 99252 - 99255 need pos 21.
Also keep in mind that the low level codes (99241 / 99251) were deleted this past year*

Code 99251 is no longer in use. Not sure if you are aware of that. The fact that your providers are specialty providers and are asked to see patients does not meet the criteria for a "consultation". Make sure you are meeting the three requirements to bill for consultations.

Code 99251 is no longer in use. Not sure if you are aware of that. The fact that your providers are specialty providers and are asked to see patients does not meet the criteria for a "consultation". Make sure you are meeting the three requirements to bill for consultations.
We are not using 99251 and the specialty providers are meeting all three , 1 request of another physician, 2 recommend care for a specific condition or problem ( my providers usually end up performing a procedure) 3. Written report to requesting physician (we also share the same EMR system).

Outpatient consults are codes 99242—99245. You are using inpatient consult codes, which is why they are denying for pos. 99252 - 99255 need pos 21.
Also keep in mind that the low level codes (99241 / 99251) were deleted this past year*
CPT coding book shows 99252-99255 listed as Consultations: Inpatient or Observation. Codes 99242-99245 are listed as Consultations: Office and Outpatient. If my patient is in Observation why wouldn't I list 99252-99255? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

CPT coding book shows 99252-99255 listed as Consultations: Inpatient or Observation. Codes 99242-99245 are listed as Consultations: Office and Outpatient. If my patient is in Observation why wouldn't I list 99252-99255? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
My apologies.....I hadn't realized that they merged inpt & obs consult codes also.
This may actually be causing your claims to deny in error. A few of these insurance companies are really dragging their feet getting their systems updated for the 2023 changes. We are still having these issues when billing 99221 - 99239 w/ pos 22.