Wiki Intake vs BioPsychosocial Assessment

tiffanyade

Best answers
Two questions...I have recently started working for a BH provider and there are a few questions regarding coding of intakes vs. Bio-Soc Asses. I believe we are billing these incorrectly.
For an intake for MH & SA we are billing H0001...what is the CPT equivalent? to this as most commercial insurance companies are not paying the H0001.
Can a patient be billed for an intake and a Bio-Soc?

What exactly do you mean by "intake"? Do you mean a history and physical on admission to a facility? Do you mean a psychiatric or psychological assessment for an outpatient visit? You likely will be using the codes from the Behavioral Health section of the CPT book.

Is this for an individual provider or a facility? Some payers will pay the H0001 and 2 codes and some want 90791-2. However if this is for a facility you can not bill separately for this service if you’re billing a day rate unless the facility has an IMS license or is done offsite at the doctors office on a separate day as it would be included in the day rate. If you email me I can add you to our substance abuse/mental health email thread.
justsarahk@gmail.com