Wiki Interactive Complexity +90785

dyates

Best answers
Does using a therapy dog during a psychiatric session qualify as +90785. If you read the criteria for using 90785 it say Use of play equipment, other physicial devices, interpreter, or translator to communicate.

I think this is a GREY area but was wondering if a therapy dog could be considered "other physical device" and be billed as +90785.

If anyone has anything in writing regarding this topic I would love to see it.

Thanking you in advance!

Diana

What a great question - never thought about it before.

Off the top of my head I would say I don't see why not.

But I am going to research it and ask one of my mental health coders who knows EVERYTHING!!

When she replies I'll repost. Sorry, this doesn't help you right now, but I like the question. Thanks for asking it.

I asked about this question and I got the same answer - it's pretty much a grey area. I think the only thing you could do is submit and try it. (which I?m sure you already know.)

But my friend (who I think is the smartest coder I have ever met in my life) says that IC is the best place to start with that.

I asked her if we could approach it from criteria number 4. I approached it on how the animal would change or effect communication. I propose that the 90785 could be used for animal therapy if the animal was used to help the patient be calm enough to talk.