Wiki Intercondylar fracture elbow

Best answers
Could someone direct me a little with this coding situation? Doctor did and ORIF of an intercondylar elbow fracture with olecranon osteotomy. The code I keep going back to for the fractue is 24579, but I have not been able to find anything for the olecranon osteotomy. Thanks for whatever help anyone can provide.

Hi Kae,

Just thinking out loud here...I'm leaning towards the doc having had to remove a portion of the olecranon to access the fracture (?) - this would be the olecranon osteotomy and if I am correct, then it becomes integral to the overall procedure that he/she is performing...hence, no coding or charging for this.

It's kind of like driving on a road with no exit ramps...you have to go from the beginning to the end. If a tree falls across the road, you are obligated to remove it to continue on your journey...

Hope this is at least a little bit helpful.

Have a good evening,

Joyce :)

LOL - you are VERY welcome - I believe in keeping things as simple as possible because that is the only way to make an impression. I coded Orthopaedic Surgery for 15 years and I miss it...so, watching the forums kind of keeps me in the loop.

Have a wonderful day :)

Joyce