Wiki Interns and Residents for Psych Testing

mschaller

Best answers
Does anyone have any resources available on how to bill for interns and/or residents for psych testing. My understanding is that an intern can be billed as a technician for administrating the tests because there are no minimal education requirements for technicians. I can't find anything specific to residents though. We will have one starting soon and my instinct is that we should be able to bill more for a resident. Any help would be appreciated. I'm very new to Behavioral Health. Thank you!

https://www.apaservices.org/practice/medicare/coverage/incident-to

Interns and Postdoctoral Graduate Students

Medicare does not allow for services provided by interns or postdoctoral graduate students to be billed under the “incident to” provisions. Medicare considers services furnished by interns or postdoctoral graduate students to be training and therefore not eligible for Part B funding.

Check with your local state. There are some states that allow Psychology Intern billing.

https://www.apa.org/ed/graduate/about/reimbursement/state-progress

Medicaid reimbursement for services provided by interns varies by state. To determine whether services provided by interns and trainees in your state are eligible for Medicaid reimbursement, individuals should determine whether there is controlling legislative authority as well as the current regulations that determine more specifically how your state is implementing the Medicaid program. States may include interns in their list of eligible mental health providers, or provide authority for exemptions in the regulations for those who provide psychological services under supervision of a psychologist.

While states vary in both the legislative and regulatory authority, we have included publicly available current state authorities to help provide some examples of how states are providing coverage for these services. As state laws and regulations change continually, APA cannot guarantee the completeness, accuracy or currency of this information.