Wiki Interpreting a KUB

KaylaRieken

True Blue
Best answers
If my physician orders a KUB and it is done at our office and the patient comes back two days later for an appointment and the doctor reads the results that day, would the reading get billed that day?

Taken on 9/7/21 74018TC
Read on 9/9/21 74018-26

But if he does it all on one day it would be 74018 and the interpretation needs to be dictated on 9/7.

Either day would be accepted. I prefer to bill on the day date when the study was initially read even if two days after the performance of the KUB.

So you are saying if dr sees the patient and dictates his interpretation in the office note on 9/9, I can use that for the 9/7 billing of 74018 for the read? (hope that makes sense)

Hi Kayla,
I think you should follow the insurance carrier's guidelines. Here is a link to CMS's policy on Date of Service for Radiology services.
"The technical component is billed on the date the patient had the test performed. When billing a global service, the provider can submit the professional component with a date of service reflecting when the review and interpretation is completed or can submit the date of service as the date the technical component was performed. This will allow ease of processing for both Medicare and the supplemental payers. If the provider did not perform a global service and instead performed only one component, the date of service for the technical component would the date the patient received the service and the date of service for the professional component would be the date the review and interpretation is completed."

Hopefully this is helpful to you,
Jamie