Wiki Interview for Outpatient Coding

Jfraska

Contributor
Best answers
I had an interview with a major hospital in Boston 2 weeks ago for an entry level coding position. I applied May 1st and they asked me for interview May 4th and i interviewed May 12th. I interviewed with an HR manager and the hiring manager (2 separate interviews in one day). The HR interview was so so and he asked about salary and told me about the benefits and some of my job background, etc. The hiring manager interview was a lot better and we definitely had more of a conversation. We discussed future of the position, opportunity, hours and schedule etc. I felt real good after and she said I was definitely qualified and that she thinks I'd be a good fit.

I sent my thank you letter the next day to the hiring manager and the HR, I guess recruiter and the hiring manager replied with a thanks back and to call with any questions or concerns. I guess polite managerial speak. Well it's been 2 weeks now and nothing. I did email the hiring manager just to follow up regarding the process and where they were at. I was told they wanted someone to start in June and they'd make a decision by the end of next week (last Friday) of course that's what they SAID. I know things come up and it's a big company so who knows.

Am I right about it taking so long or is it pretty much set in stone now. Is it normal for big hospitals to take a long time to hire?

As a hiring manager, I can tell you that I try to make decisions exactly when I said I would, but things come up and other priorities get in the way. That you've heard nothing is good news, because they could have told you flat out that you were not in the running. They may WANT someone to start in June, but there's never any hard and fast rule about that. Also, if you're a viable candidate, they may be holding off because they're not entirely finished with the interview process for other candidates. You've reached out once, I wouldn't bug the manager because that will just come across as being annoying.

Would you travel to Seacoast NH? I have a 32 hour position open.

As a hiring manager, I can tell you that I try to make decisions exactly when I said I would, but things come up and other priorities get in the way. That you've heard nothing is good news, because they could have told you flat out that you were not in the running. They may WANT someone to start in June, but there's never any hard and fast rule about that. Also, if you're a viable candidate, they may be holding off because they're not entirely finished with the interview process for other candidates. You've reached out once, I wouldn't bug the manager because that will just come across as being annoying.

Would you travel to Seacoast NH? I have a 32 hour position open.

Thank you, that's what I am hoping is happening right now. Things come up and maybe it's in some HR red tape and blockage. If it were 100% up to the hiring manager I'd be hired by now I'm sure.

Thanks for the offer but that's about 100 miles from me, way too far. I still think Boston area is my best bet