Wiki Intra operative consult for accidental injury ICD 10

Sueforman

New
Best answers
My understanding is that when a physician is requested for a possible injury and they do a repair, say for a laceration that occurred, that physician would code the dx as the S series for laceration and the operative note where the laceration occurred would report the accidental injury code but I can't find any information to support this or not. I don't think the doctor doing the repair should be using the accidental ICD 10 code. Thoughts? Thanks

I wanted to add that the consulting physician is a separate specialty. Please advise what icd 10 code series this physician should use when they find a laceration/injury and do a repair. Example: K91.7X verses "S" series icd 10 laceration. I'm thinking the "S" series because the surgeon doing the repair did not cause the accidental injury but looking for additional information to support this. thanks

I have never heard of this. However, it would not be appropriate to use an S code in this instance. See Chapter 19 Coding Guidelines with regard to coding of iatrogenic injuries.

Do you mean that for example, Provider A was performing a surgical case and during said case caused an iatrogenic injury? The injury required calling in Provider B to repair or otherwise address the injury caused by Provider A?

Yes that is what I am saying. Thank you for clarifying on the S codes. I think I may have been trained wrong and never could find anything in regards to this. It does make sense to now to use the accidental injury of bowel during other procedure, I guess that does say it was done during another procedure. Never thought of that. Again thank you