Wiki Intra Operative Consult

aslonsky

Networker
Best answers
One of my physicians was called in for an intraoperative consult on an outpatient surgery. The requesting physician was performing surgery on the patient with a resident. Our physician scrubbed in and instructed the resident on how to perform the portion of surgery related to the consultation. We are not a teaching hospital, can our physician bill for anything? A consultation note was dictated and the primary surgeon listed our physician as the assistant.

Why was there a resident?

If you are not a teaching hospital, why was there a resident in the OR performing a part of the procedure?

Sounds like the primary surgery listed YOUR surgeon as the assist. But if there was a resident present he will have to state in HIS operative report that the resident was not qualified and therefore he needed the assistance of your surgeon for ...... (whatever was performed).

You would code the same as the primary surgeon but with an assist modifier. (I'd say -82 which is used in a teaching hospital, but I'm really confused by your scenario.)

Hope that helped.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC