Wiki Intra-procedural adequacy checks non FNA

Best answers
When doing an Intra-procedural adequacy checks for bone core biopsy's (non FNA) and then the specimen is being forwarded to an outside lab for consultation, which CPT code would be correct?

thanks donna

I wouldn't use a consult during surgery code for a 'procedure.' I don't think there is a code for this... What are they doing? Is this a look through the microscope to make sure the specimen is bone/marrow?

They are just doing an adequacy check on a needle core biopsy, to check for adequacy of the specimen before it is sent to an outside source. Basically they are doing an 88172 but it is not an FNA.

88329 is gross only so if a microscope is involved, I wouldn't do it. Also there is a difference between intra-operatively and intra-procedurally. If it's not an FNA you can't use an FNA code and if it's not an operation (vs procedure) you can't use an intraoperative code. You could use a unspecified service code but you'll be denied and/or have to submit documentation to prove the charge's validity. If this doesn't happen often, I would eat the charge. You are providing an extra level of patient care that CPT doesn't describe and the patients and clinicians will appreciate it. If it happens often enough I would contact your major payers for advice.